Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day 1- 2 June year 2010

Hi all :)

This is going to be a way to keep all of you up to date with my happenings in Stavanger Norway. What goes on, how I get lost (it's me, it's bound to happen at least... once a day????) Who I meet (the Norwegian with the Salmon :) hehe) and the adventures I get up to.

Day one started with me getting 3 hours sleep.... arg! After getting home from Switchfoot I needed to finish packing my bag/bags (they some how doubled in numbers) How people pack in back packs is beyond me, I am sure there must be a Marry Popins or a Hermione Granger involved because it is just not possible!!!!! So after I finished packing and repacking it was 3am and I was getting up at 6am. So managed in a half asleep stoop er to get dressed, Skype the parentals and reassure them that I was fine and not going to get lost in Norway, never to be found again. I managed to leave for the Heathrow ON TIME!!!!! Yay me great start so gold stars all round! I got on the packed Northern Line on the 3rd train that pulled up at Clapham South and went through to Stockwell, where I was on the wrong side of the train to get out, so very apologetically ran over peoples toes with my giant bags trying to get out. At Stockwell I got onto the Victoria line and went to Green Park so I could change for the Piccadilly Line to Heathrow, this was where my plan hit a bit of a snag. There where no escalators or lifts from the Victoria Line platform to get to the main hall to then get onto the Piccadilly line, and I was standing in the middle of a very crowed busy station at the top of 2 huge flights of stairs trying with not much luck, not to fall over and kill myself and the people around me :) hehe. Till a very nice prince charming (minus the looks) offered to help me with my GIANT bag :) Yay all smiles I said that that would be amazing, the poor guy regretted his decision the moment I descended the stairs and he tried to lift my bag! Well I thanked a rather paler and sweater version of the guy I met at the top now at the bottom of the stairs and shacking a little for being so kind and got on my train to Heathrow, Yay almost there.

I got to the airport without any other hassle and was given a trolly as soon as I exited the train, not sure who radioed ahead but I was grateful :) I went to check in my bags and realised why the poor prince charming looked like he had just climbed Everest with no oxygen when the lady behind the counter said, "your little over weigh dear" at first I thought she was talking to me and I was about to say "I know and I am working on it thank you very much!!!" when I realised she meant the bag, I acted blissfully ignorant and said that I didn't realise sorry! when I asked how much she said by 8kg's OOOPS!!!!! My bag was meant to weigh 20kgs well it didn't! As i said before I don't know how people do it.

I was now already to head to Stavanger :) I got on my flight on Scandinavian airlines and settled in for a short flight, only 1h30min easy. Well thank goodness I have flown before because the air hostesses came out to do their normal safety demonstration etc, well it was all in Norwegian, I couldn't tell you if they where telling me how to inflate my life vest in case of a water landing or how to find the capital of Algeria??? Honestly Stewart Mc Gee's question of "was that Zulu or Afrikaans was really relevant here, wow" So I sat giggling to myself quietly I promise and plugged my IPOD in and listen to something I could understand- Two door cinema club!

The flight was quicker than expected and we arrived 25min early. The weather was not the greatest at 15 Degrees and overcast but hey it could have been worse. The family were waiting for me after passport control, were I was very upset because I didn't get a stamp in my passport!!! Apparently traveling on a British passport through out Europe, you don't get a stamp! How lame is that! So my beautiful passports pages are still barren and lonely!

The people here drive on the wrong side of the road! The whole day I have been walking to the wrong side of the car (the drivers side) to get in! Man I miss my blond hair! It would make getting it wrong so many times acceptable, now I just look mentally challenged as a brunette!

When I went to unpack by bags and have a shower I realised that I had, had a telcan powder explosion! It looked like it had snowed in there, what a mess! Had an awesome supper of Norwegian Salmon aka just salmon here for supper, all the houses here are made of wood and have a height restriction so everyone builds down into the ground to get more levels and space in the houses. But Wow what a beautiful country. I have the magical Fjords all around me and the vast mountains behind honestly it looks like I am living in a post card!

Well that was day one, stay tuned for my next day/ days of adventure!

1 comment: